Residents of Ikare-Akoko, the headquarters of Akoko North East Local Government Area of Ondo State could not hold their tears Sunday night as they received the news of a 60 year old woman and her grand-daughter of about four years who died in an inferno.
The duo were reportedly burnt to death when a bungalow located less than two poles to Ikare fire station caught fire in the night.
The woman whose identity could not be immediately confirmed, reportedly slept alone in the room with her child at the time of the incident.
An eye witness, one Oluboyo said co-residents tried to suppress the fire with water from the well while the dead woman and her daughter made frantic efforts to escape but to no avail.
He blamed the fire on candle light, stressing that there was no electricity in the whole Akoko division comprising four Local
Government Areas in the last one year.
A community leader, Chief Saliu Okola flayed the present
administration in the state for not doing much on the provision of fire fighting equipment.
He called on the incoming government to recruit fire fighting officers with necessary equipment in its offices across the state.
Also speaking on the incident, the Vicar-in- charge of St Stephen Anglican Cathedral Church,Ikare-Akoko where the woman was a communicant, Ven Joshua Idowu ,described the deceased as a devout christian.
According to the cleric, the woman was a humane personality who was an example of a good christian.